Thursday, December 25, 2008

What is a Rescue?

I've had many interesting conversations over the dinner table, but I must say this one (and it has been on more than one occasion that I have had this discussion) is the most frequent. It's on the definition of a 'rescue.' Don't get me wrong. I support rescues. I work with rescues. I have adopted from rescues. I have fostered for rescues. All types of rescues. Dogs, cats, horses, birds. Some I have donated to. Others I volunteer at events. You don't necessarily have to have an animal in your midst to help a rescue.

My definition of a rescue (and I realize some of you will disagree with me here, but if you do, start your own blog :) is ANY animal that is in need of medical, physical or emotional care that it is not receiving anywhere else. That goes to the most basic of needs. To be safe. To be fed. To be vetted. To be in an environment where you are cared for.

You don't have to be a 501(c)3 - though I support many that are - to 'rescue' an animal from an abusive, neglectful, inhumane situation. Taking in any animal, give it a safe, warm place to live with abundant food, medical care and heaps and heaps of patience, love and understanding, and you have all the ingredients needed for a 'rescue.'

If you don't know what you are doing, and there are some of those animals whose requirements are more than just a warm place and good dinner, team up with someone who does know what they are doing. Better yet, to start with, volunteer with a good rescue. Get your feet and hands dirty. See what it is all about and if you have the emotional, financial and physical requirements to take in a rescue. The hardest job you'll ever love. One that will break your heart. One that will confirm that the human race isn't all in the toilet. That there are good people out there.

Don't expect to be paid back for the expenses you have. Don't even expect to break even. You most likely will go into debt. To the vet. The farrier. The equine dentist. The feed store (grain, shavings, treats). The hay guy. Make sure all these people get paid. They are your source for everything that you need. They are the ones who make what you do possible. You will NEVER make money doing this. The priceless part will come when you see that little girl with her new horse and the horse being loved as they were intended to be loved. Cared for. Gushed over. Groomed. Fed treats. That is the priceless part that doesn't even begin to put dollars back in your check book. That doesn't cover the nights of sleep that were lost due to sitting up with a sick animal while you wait for the vet to come. That doesn't account for all the days you clean the stall. Taught a horse that patience and kindness come with gentle hands and treats. That doesn't even begin to heal a heart when, even though you did everything you could possibly, humanly do, even everything was not enough and the kindest thing you could do was gently lay that animal to rest in your arms. That is rescue.

So, there are many animals, many rescues, that are waiting with open arms for your help. Maybe you don't have a barn or house. You might have $5.00. If everyone in your email address book send $5.00 to a rescue, they would have the finances to save another animal. Have the money to pay for the hay, shavings, vet, farrier, dentist, etc. Volunteer at your local shelter. Knit or crochet a blanket as a donation for an auction or raffle. Open your house or barn to a four legged creature that has never known a clean stall, a full hay rack, a gentle grooming.

I rescue as I have the heart and funds and space available. Some years there are many. Some years there are few. Some years I volunteer my time; other times, my barn, my truck, my trailer, my hay.

I'm in debt to my non-horsey husband, - physically, financially, emotionally - who always seems to be able to float the extra hay bill, farrier bill. Who very rarely grumbles when we are doing chores and there is 'one more' mouth to hay, grain, clean, water, groom, blanket, check. I am most thankful that I have a supportive and caring husband who knows that it means we drive second hand trucks when we could afford new ones. I would rather have my horses than a new truck any day!

IF you don't know where a local rescue or shelter might be, google/dogpile/yahoo/whoever it... check out them on the web. Call your vet. Ask people in your area. Talk to the guy at the local feed store. Drive your truck and trailer. Sew a quilt. Find a rescue you feel comfortable standing behind and then stand behind them. Send them $20 a month. Sponsor a stall. Walk a dog. Socialize a cat. Crochet an afghan. DO SOMETHING. ANYthing. If you don't know what you can do, email or call them. Find out.

Whatever flavor of horse, whatever species of cat or dog. (Sorry, Nike) - JUST DO IT!

You will never be sorry that you did.

Just in case you want somewhere to start in Vermont/New England, here are a couple that I recommend/help as I can:

http://www.newenglandequinerescues.com/
http://www.petfinder.com/ (and go to rescues listed by State)
http://www.springhillrescue.com/

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment