Monday, December 22, 2008

Another Day, Another Heart Ache

Here's the web site of a petition that has been started for Tim, the abused horse. My two cents worth is in Green.

<<<<>>>
Received Dec 20, 2008

I received this in one of my dog rescue groups. It ticked me off to no end-what is wrong with the court system???? They're just as bad, if not worse, than the abusers!!!!

There are currently 80 signatures. (Now it is over 300!)

If you're new to the story of Tim, the horse, who needs rescuing from his abusive owners, please see the attachment.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/81/please-help-tim

Please pass the word.


....Lynn wrote:...

Signing the petition will not do a lot for this horse. I will sign it because I care.

As an Animal Control Officer, I have to say that the people who are doing the feeding, etc. are doing more harm than good.

Ok, no hate mail here, please. Let me explain myself. The court, animal control officer, etc. is showing up and the horse has food and water and shelter. Therefore, in the eyes of the law, the complaint is unfounded. We cannot tell that sympathy of neighbors has cared for this horse. We only know what the evidence is in front of our eyes. You can tell me for days that you were the one feeding this horse illegally - and you are only going to wind up getting yourself in trouble for trespassing.

No, I don't like the way the law is written.

No, animals should be cared for competently by their owners.

Yes, if this horse has food, water and shelter, there is NOTHING I can do.

The ONLY way to get this owner convicted is to do NOTHING for the horse.

You are condemning him to live with this person due to your kindness. If you continue to feed and water this horse and continue to tell whomever that it isn't being cared for, well then, there is no proof of that because that is NOT WHAT THEY SEE.

I DO NOT encourage, promote, humor, practice or agree with animal neglect or abuse.

Yes, I have horses of my own. You are welcome at my barn any day.

But if you truly want to help the horse and show the law that this man is not taking care of it, then you need to STOP taking care of it yourself. That is the only way you are going to convince any animal control officer, judge, court that he isn't doing his job.

He's got the best of both worlds. He doesn't have to lift a finger or spend a dime and his horse is being taken care of. Wow. Who would want to admit to that and have it stop with the price of hay/grain/bedding, etc.

I'm so sick to my stomach for all the people in this world who do get away with stuff like this. I can't sleep at night and I'm not doing anything wrong. There must be something missing in their person that they can fill their fat bodies up to the brim but can't find even one bale of hay for their starving horses.

I truly do love animals more than people on a regular basis.

Lynn


-------------- Original message --------------
December 21, 2008

Lynn- what I don't understand is that this guy has already been convicted...they let him keep the horse pending an appeal and the other horse had to be put down after 3 days of laying in the field...I don't get it. Why isn't the court monitoring the situation. One horse died and another almost and probably will if someone doesn't step up. The innocent sure don't have many rights. How sad...it must be a terribly frustrating job for ACO's...

~My Answer~
My opinion, not having seen anything except that one picture and what I have 'heard' over the Internet and read for myself? That the horse is being cared for. That's it. It doesn't matter WHO is caring for the horse. The horse has food, water and shelter. That is what the LAW requires. There is no proof that this person doesn't have an agreement with his neighbor to take care of the animal. THEY are the ones providing for it. I have to, in my Town, enforce that.

The neighbors are truly doing this horse a disservice. Yes, I do realize what I am saying. That in order to save this horse, someone needs to stop doing what the owner should be doing. That is the only way they are going to prove that the owner is not doing anything.

Let the horse NOT be fed or watered or cared for UNTIL Animal Control/Ag Dept./Sheriff, whomever, agrees that this horse is in danger, in need, without proper care, feed, water, etc. They are condemning it to live this life if they DO NOT STOP. They need professionals who will WRITE ON PAPER that they have not done this horses feet. Done his shots. Grain stores who will DOCUMENT they never sold this guy wormer or grain or hay.

If I were told to go look at this horse and he had food, water and shelter, there would be absolutely nothing I could do for him. When called to testify in a court of law, I would have to report that the animal had what the law required.

I have 3 horses of my own. And two others that live in my barn. I love my horses and go without so that they have what they need. I don't need a new truck. My second hand one pulls the trailer just fine and hauls hay and grain like no ones business. I don't like the way the laws are written. So I helped write the new laws for our Town. If you don't like the law, find a way to change it. Support someone who will enforce it.

And as difficult as it is to leave any animal with nothing, you MUST if you want to stop this cycle of cruelty. It is the ONLY way that it will work. The Owner has the best of both worlds. He got to piss off his neighbors (and the world) by keeping his horse and he doesn't have to lift a finger or spend a cent on it. They will do it for him. Why would he want to change that???

I practice, preach, promote and stand on my soap box about spay/neuter - for everything that doesn't have a committed and exceptional breeder. Those are very few and far between as far as I am concerned, unfortunately. And I have little to no tolerance of those that don't do what is right by their animals.

Yes, the guy was convicted, but he has the right to an appeal. Innocent until PROVEN guilty. And the people who are TRYING to help are just making it harder to take the horse away. THEY are providing the evidence that will hold up in court. I can just hear the owner now, telling the judge, (these are my words, ok?) "He always has food and water and shelter.?"

STOP feeding the horse. STOP watering the horse. Document with pictures that there are no foot prints or hay or water for an EXTENDED period of time. Best yet, set up a camera that will take shots every 5 minutes and leave it running for days to PROVE that no one is caring for the horse. No food steps, no hay, no water. Call your ACO/Constable/Ag Dept. and have them document it. Be Polite. Courteous. Firm. Cordial. (Bring them a cup of coffee, if you want to butter them up.) PROVE to them that the OWNER is not caring for his horse. This is going to take a matter of time. They WILL NOT come out the first time and say 'oh, my, lets take this poor horse out of here right now.' They want proof that this person isn't going to come through. Don't cave in. Doing so ONLY LOOKS LIKE HE IS DOING IT.

No, I do not want this horse to die. I want the son-of-a-bitch to go to jail and I hope the judge throws the book at him and only lets him have water and bread for 5 months. Better than what he is doing for his horse. I want it so he can never own another animal as long as he lives.

It sucks. It sucks, big time. But that is the only way it is going to work, unfortunately. It's beyond frustration. Its absolute burn out. Makes you puke in the snowbank when you get down the road a half a mile. Makes me glad that I have a wonderful, compassionate husband to lean on. Makes me glad you can't subpoena horses. Oh, the tales they would tell you. You absolutely have no idea.

Ok - now I really have to go to the barn and hug my frightfully furry equines - between this and the
www.fuglyhorseoftheday.blogspot.com I can't handle any more today. Then off to bed. Hopefully, the beaches and waves and sunshine can blot out the things my eyes have seen this day.
Lynn :(

--- December 21, 2008 -----
What they need to do is keep all the receipts of all the feed they are buying for that horse and then slap a lien on it or give the bill to the owner. The owner refuses to pay for it then tell him you'll see him in court or he can sign over ownership of the horse to you for the amount owed. It's easier to say don't feed the horse then to have to sit there and listen to it or watch it look at you with eyes pleading you to do something. I personally couldn't do it and wouldn't do it either.

--Lynn's Answer ----
They can't and no court that I know of would uphold that. You can't feed your neighbors horse when you weren't asked and then expect him to pay for it. It's considered a 'donation' or 'gift.' I don't agree with it, just like I don't agree with not feeding your horses.

It doesn't matter WHO is caring for the horse. The horse has food, water and shelter. That is what the LAW requires. There is no proof that this person doesn't have an agreement with his neighbor to take care of the animal. THEY are the ones providing for it.


I don't get it. If you don't want a horse and don't want to take care of it - give it to someone who will. This isn't rocket science. Not brain surgery. It's expensive to own an animal... ANY animal. This is why I like my animals better than most humans any day of the week.

NEWS FLASH: There is NO SUCH THING as a FREE animal....

No comments:

Post a Comment