Friday, January 9, 2009

I'm not lost!

Hi, everyone. I'm not lost in the snow banks or taken up refuge in the barn. Though it feels like I have spent most of my time there and at work these past few days. Wednesday we had a real bad ice, snow, sleet, freezing rain day. School was cancelled all over the place. I even made sure that none of the volunteers went in to the Library where I work and I didn't go in, either. (That's my day job - I'm an assistant librarian, among other things :)

So, Thursday, I don't usually work, but this week was necessary. Friday work. Saturday morning, work.

When I'm not working I'm in the barn cleaning stalls, dosing medicine - still. Sigh. Poor Elias. Every time I go in to see him, it seems, I'm giving him another shot. We started out with 3 a day, now down to 2 a day. Once in the morning and again at night. Roger, the Vet, is in Colorado - or in the air, even as I type. He will be on TV Saturday and Sunday! Back early next week. Sigh.

The swelling in his leg is going down, a little more every day. It's almost back to normal. I will take pictures tomorrow afternoon, hopefully. We are supposed to get another storm tomorrow.

I posted some bright, sunny pictures of flowers I took this summer up at the Library as I can't stand to see the snow piles through the windows! We are also having a display from a local photographer who takes pictures in WARM places of coral reefs and exotic underwater life! I can't wait to have that in February!

So, Aspey seems to have gotten over her choke thing. Um, but I'm still NOT feeding her the hay replacer pellets that made her choke in the first place. Feeding it to the guys, who seem to have no problem with it.


For those of you who might want to have a horse but don't have the means and/or place to keep one, consider making a donation to a local rescue - or a not local rescue - check them out, make sure you agree with what they do and they have a good reputation. Two that I support - sometimes not always with money - are www.springhillrescue.com Spring Hill Horse Rescue. They just took in 110 animals around the first of the year and they were beyond capacity before that. Even $5 for a bale of hay feeds a horse for a day! The other is www.NewEnglandEquineRescues.com New England Equine Rescues. They cover all of New England.

Keep everyone warm, with plenty of good food and LIQUID water - horses cannot get enough hydration from snow - and if it's warm, all the better! They don't like cold water in cold weather. Kinda like eating ice cream when it's freezing out. Chills them like it does you (sorry, not me. Lactose intolerant. Don't like the stuff because it makes me feel like I'm breathing liquid fire!)

Support a rescue. Support a Humane Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment