Friday, January 2, 2009

Poor, poor Elias...

My poor, poor boy. Not only is the swelling in his leg not shrinking, it's getting worse by some degree. Now it's moved up into his chest. The 10 minute walks twice a day. Antibiotics twice a day. At least he was anxious to go out this morning. Made sure the fence was up and ON so no one would bother him and cause him to have to move too quickly. Had to set up another water bucket as I only have two tanks with heaters in them. He can visit with everyone in his small paddock, but not get into too much trouble. I hope.

The Vet came to visit while I was at work. My daughter, MJ, did horse duty. The vet said 'not good.' So he gave him another shot of antibiotics. And gave MJ two more syringes for the next two mornings. And told her, 'have your Mom give him the shots right here' pointing to a gray spot on his neck, 'and walk him twice a day for 20 minutes.' And continue the oral antibiotics. And the bute.

My poor boy. He keeps thinking he's done something wrong. We walk in a rather large circle. Him gimping along. When he occasionally stops to rest, he puts his head on my shoulder and licks his lips and gives me these worried eyes. I try to convince him he's done nothing wrong and that he's such a good boy to keep walking. Even when he's gimping so bad, and I feel so guilty, I keep him walking. By the watch. 20 minutes. Add another two rounds for the stops we've made. The other horses don't help any. As Elias is gimping around, the others are running in their pasture, kicking up their heels. Wondering why it's taking so long with the routine tonight and why they aren't being let in. Let's get the show on the road. Hay needs eating.

Nice big note on the counter from MJ. Detailing what the Vet said. And to look for the blue and orange square. Huh? Blue and orange square? Silly girl. She was so worried I wouldn't know which gray spot on his neck to use for the shot that she brought out a blue and orange magic marker and drew a big square around it on his neck. Resourceful girl.

So, my Elias and his barn buddies are all in for the night. Clean stalls. Grain. Antibiotics. Hay. Clean water. Gimped him in when it started to snow. Poor guy. He's got to get better. I truly don't know what I would do without him.

Oh, and guess what came in the mail tonight. Waiting on the counter for me next to the two totally huge syringes and instructions from the Vet? The bill from Aspey choking and taking out the stitches. Farm Call. Emergency Call. Brief Exam. Suture Removal. Ouch. Guess I can wait for the rest of this week to come in the next bill. Good thing I'm working a few extra hours for the next few weeks. Wonder if the Vet needs an assistant? Will work for vet bill. Ohy, vey.

No comments:

Post a Comment