Thursday, April 1, 2010

Big, BIG Soap Box Warning....

Ok. I've had it. I'm sick to death of it. My email has at least ONE email every day telling me about horses, dogs or cats being neglect/abused/starved to death. I hear so many sob stories about how these people are 'overwhelmed' and 'lost their jobs' and how they just 'acquired' too many horses, dogs or cats (or any combination of those or more).

Hell-O!!?!?! How do you just 'acquire' too many horses? It's not like they just showed up on your doorstep, looking for a bowl of milk, like kittens.... these are HORSES - they are usually Trailered... by a TRUCK! If you feel sorry for a horse and the condition that it's in, donate to your local rescue. Don't bring it home. Because you are then the next story that is going to be posted on the email list.

And for you Do-Gooders out there - please, please, please... STOP HELPING THESE PEOPLE! All you are doing is prolonging the torture of these animals. Here is a portion of the conversation you are having with animal control, dept. of agriculture, local law enforcment, etc. (for those of you who do report and will file a statement):

Do-Gooder: "Hello. I am calling to report some neglected horses (animals). Their owner isn't feeding them or cleaning their stalls (pens) and they never have water. Can you check on them?"

Animal control goes and checks on the horses (animals). Their stalls (pens) are CLEAN and they have HAY (food) and water.

Animal control: (calls back the Do-Gooder): "The horses (animals) stalls (pens) are clean and they have hay (food) and water. We didn't find any problem. We have to close the case."

Do-Gooder: "Well the only reason the stalls (pens) are clean is because we cleaned them and the only reason they have hay (food) and water is because we bought it and fed them."

Animal Control (BANGING HEAD ON DESK CONTINUOUSLY AS HARD AS THEY CAN): "Then I can't help them until you stop taking care of them. In the EYES OF THE LAW THEY ARE BEING CARED FOR!"

Yes, I will speak for those of us in Animal Control because I have been there - for many years. (I am no longer as I can't stand the anguish any more, AND I have found someone who is much younger and less jaded than I am to do the thankless, painful job.)

If you know of abuse or neglect, you CAN'T FIX IT and then ask us to step in and do something. We have no proof.

How do I know you don't actually have an agreement with the owner and the horses belong to someone else and you are leasing the barn? How do I know it's truly you that is doing the work? How do I know it's you that is doing the work and that you aren't (ILLEGALLY) TRESPASSING on their property? In that case, I have to report you and YOU GET THE TICKET! How do I know that the owner is not doing the care? Just because "you" said so? Maybe the neighbor - even though you are the one mucking stalls, buying hay, filling stock tanks - thinks he just found the perfect neighborhood to live in? Want to come live next door to me? I would LOVE IT if someone else did all my chores, paid my hay bill, took care of my horse and I could just sit back and watch them because IT WON'T GET ME IN TROUBLE AT ALL! How do I know that you don't just have an itch to scratch because they play their music loud every weekend until 2 am?

Please, please, please. DON'T HELP the horses, dogs, cats, etc. REPORT THE ABUSER. If I get a report and I drive by/visit the animal and it has food, shelter and water, THERE IS NOTHING I CAN LEGALLY DO.

You, dear Do-Gooder, have SENTENCED this animal to MORE TIME in their HELL HOLE.

DO report to animal control, department of agriculture, local police, state police, etc., etc..

BE an advocate for the animal.

DO support your local rescues and shelters.

DO NOT give up because your first call wasn't answered. Sometimes, the squeaky wheel gets the most grease, sometimes just to shut it up.

DO take pictures.

DO NOT TRESPASS TO GET THE EVIDENCE. We can't use it in court.

DO NOT help the animal before law enforcement, department of agriculture, animal control, state police, etc., etc., get there as it WILL NOT STICK. (Even if it means the animal is still being neglected. Yes, this is hard to say, even HARDER to do.)

DO NOT CRY WOLF. Just because the neighbor horse is standing out in the rain when it has a perfectly good shelter to go into with hay and water, you will not be taken seriously the next time you report one who is truly in trouble.

I'm seriously pulling out my hair (what little I have left) because of so many stories of "I tried to help, but they wouldn't help themselves or their animals..." because people who neglect their animals DO IT OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN! They don't stop. It's like a disease. And those who 'help' the animals or the owners are only sentencing those animals to longer confinement in those conditions.

Ok. I'm still steamed. I'm outraged. My blood pressure is going through the roof. It makes me shake my head with wonder every single time this happens. It makes me want to bang my head into the doorframe for hours straight every time I read a new email....

Oh, what did you say? You just can't stand there and do nothing? You can't let those poor little animals suffer any more? Well, YOU just CEMENTED THEIR FATE by stepping in. You are ENABLING THE HOARDER/ABUSER and PERPETUATING THE ABUSE of those neglected animals!

AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!

When - and it will only be a matter of time - Animal Control, Department of Agriculture, Local Law Enforcement, State Police, Etc., Etc. step in, then be there and be prepared to help the animals out. BUT NOT UNTIL THEN!!!!!

Ok. ok. I'm done for now, but I'm still stomping off my soap box, stomping my way into my boots and stomping out into the barn to clean my horses stalls (otherwise known as throwing $hit around) .... grumble, grumble, stomp, stomp .... fading away >:( >:( > :( >:(

No comments:

Post a Comment