Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Gotta Love Spring

It's raining. Again. Sigh. Out walking through the muck and the mud and the frozen pockets of ice. I'm glad most of the snow banks are gone. I'm glad to be up to my ankles in mud. That means that good weather is right around the corner. And the boys don't have shoes on. That means that I don't have to go searching for lost shoes when I mow.

I went out this afternoon to fill stock tanks because they were running low. And it started to rain. So I went to put everyone in. Elias and Buddy, being the bone-headed males that they are, (with a mare in heat -A G A I N- still), didn't want to leave her side to go in the barn. God forbid I would put them in and leave her out! Tragedy.

So, after taking 20 minutes, in the rain, circling and circling, I convinced Elias that if he went in I could bring the others in. Then Buddy, trying out his long legs, needed to be convinced that I wasn't going to give up and stop following him, finally let me get the lead rope around his neck. Then, with my husband calling him from the barn, almost literally pulled me along to the door, like I was detaining him from getting there fast enough.

Elias, for being the biggest horse on the property, he has a wimpy little whinny. Whereas Buddy, he could peel paint off the wall. Truly, he hurts my ears when he hollers.

So, Buddy and Elias are in, finally - off to open the adjoining pasture to let Abner, Smokey and Lacey into the pasture next to the barn. (Buddy and Elias eat more and spend less time herding and pacing if she isn't in the same pasture as they are.) They dance around, swapping places, cocking back legs to let fly if the shuffle doesn't move their way. My hubby is running the door and shuffles everyone through.

I finish filling water buckets in their stalls, since I have the hose out anyways, and finish filling stock tanks on the other side of the barn. It's nice inside, hearing the horses munch on hay, quietly talking to each other and me. Hearing the rain pinging off the metal roof.

My oldest daughter, Ashley, is making supper. Ok, she's not doing it entirely for us. Her boyfriend is over for dinner. She's making steak and potatos on the grill, veggies and I don't know what else. Usually we have a nice dessert, too. It's nice to have dinner made, even if she had an ulterior motive :)

No comments:

Post a Comment