Thursday, February 5, 2009

What a day!

Ok. Now I really need to go on vacation. Permanently. That's it. I'm done. Finished. Out of here.

Lets see, we finished last night with an unfamiliar head peeking in the door at us when we went to do chores. Aspey. Sigh. Grumble. Moan. Yes, the wonderful, obnoxious horses had taken down another large section of the fence and they ALL were in together. Kicking up their heels, chasing each other, squealing, bucking and farting. Being that it was only 5 degrees, I wasn't quite in the mood to put up with their antics.

News flash. I have bronchitis. I also have cold-enduced asthma. And I have a finger that throbs in time with my heart-beat. Not the best combination of horse-mom. Even in good weather that combination is never good.

So, needless to say, I am NOT extremely impressed with my equines. Still NOT!

This morning I went to let everyone out and the stock tank was near empty. Great. Cold water and cold weather. My fav-o-rite combination. NOT! Almost as much fun as pulling hose in cold weather. Groan.

Then I go to my regular weekly appointment with the wonderful lady who helps me unscramble my brain. Ok, most days she does. Today, she just added a little water and set it to the 'puree' speed. Sigh. I know, I know. Brain work is supposed to be hard, but isn't there enough hard in my life right now. Me and 20 billion other people on this planet. No, I'm not going to suck it up. And I'm not going to stuff it. That's what got me in this mess in the first place. First, I'm going to breath. Yes, I have to suck on my inhaler more these days, but, damn it, I am breathing. That seems to be the good news and bad news all wrapped into one.

So, on my way up the drive to the magic lady's office, my GEN light came on in my truck. Great. Just what I needed. My truck to decide it needed a trip to the shop only 2 days before my planned trip down south. Well, I guess it was better to do it now before I got on the road and stranded somewhere. So, on my trip home, I used my extra key and broke the law. Gasp! BAD ME! I locked my truck shut and left it running while I got my prescription and filled the tank. I absolutely did not want to get stranded in this weather. Went to the vet (only owe a little over $100 on my vet bill :) the grain store - to keep my boy's happy, and then the bank. Gotta deposit them checks! My house sitting job for the last 10 days is helping to pay the gas on the way down!

So, got to work. Left the truck running and went inside to call the local auto parts people, who told me to 'come on over' and they would get out their little fancy machine and hook it up to my truck. Turns out my alternator was fine, as well as my battery. Just a little thing like a somewhat shredded serpentine belt was my problem. Ok, bought the belt - thank you, Ford Guy, for having pity on a lady with her dumb Dodge (now, NO bashing here. I LOVE MY TRUCK! It's mine, it's mine and it's almost paid for!!!!). Then I went back to work on a wing and a prayer that I would make it. Stopped by the garage right around the corner from the Library and the sweet guys there took me right in and twist, loop, twist, got the belt off and the new one on! In a matter of minutes!!! They are the BEST! Yeah! The light went off in the truck and their fancy little gadget said I was good to go!!!! Trips back ON!!!

My daughter was covering for me at work, so I had to stay a little longer to finish up the work I didn't get done. Then home, to do barn chores in 1.5 degree weather. Have I already told you how sick I am and that I can't breathe? Cool. No, COLD. And my finger hurts like HELL! SO, after tromping out to the barn, clean two stalls, come back inside, suck on my inhaler, sit by the wood stove trying to warm up and catch my breath, go back out, clean two more stalls, you get the idea. Promoted slave labor by having my girls each take a turn pulling the sled out of the barn to dump it in the manure pile. I shouldn't be keeping all the fun to myself, now, should I? Kinda like this dictatorship, sometimes.

So, as I'm trying to muddle through these last couple of days, trying to count the hours until I'm headed south, though the math is kinda fuzzy as the oxygen levels aren't quite high enough, gasp, my wonderful, loving, supportive husband tells me to put on my scarf. Now, I don't know what he thinks that black fuzzy thing is around my neck (my SCARF) and the blue thing is over my nose and mouth (a mask from the ER visit). Needless to say, I didn't say much. Was thinking LOTS but didn't have the breath to tell him off. THAT totally sucks.

SO, back out to the barn, hell, breathing is over-rated, anyways, to finish putting the horses in. With my mask AND scarf, thank you very much, pin head.... (Ok, ok... don't get all excited here. We do love each other. After almost 20 years of marriage, if I were going to leave him for saying something stupid, I never would have married him in the first place. And he is going to take care of the kids, animals and house while I am gone. So I don't want to piss him off too much. But can't let him get away with it, either. :)

I finally get back in the house, catch my breath and tell him off - after he gave me a check for my trip. See! Told you he loves me no matter what!

So, I'm off to the shower to steam my lungs before bed so I can sleep. Added an extra pillow to the top of the bed to keep my head elevated and the lungs working better. It's predicted to be in the low 60's on Monday and Tuesday in South Carolina!!!! I'm so ready to go.

Writing up my pages of lists - things to pack, things to bring, lists for grain and horses, dogs, birds. List for the Library volunteers for while I'm gone...

We're approaching the final count down. You do the math, again, tonight. I'm getting up Saturday morning at 8 am, letting the horses out, cleaning the stalls, then I'm outta here!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment