Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hippotherapy

hhhmmm. The first time I heard about this, I though - therapy with hippos'???? What in the world will they come up with next. Nope. Nothing to do with water, either.

Hippotherapy " is a physical, occupational or speech and language therapy treatment strategy that utilizes equine movement. Hippotherapy literally means "treatment with the help of the horse" from the Greek word 'hippos,' meaning horse. Specially trained physical and occupational therapists use this treatment for clients with movement dysfunction. In hippotherapy, the horse influences the client rather than the client controlling the horse. The client is positioned on the horse and actively responds to his movement. The therapist directs the movement of the horse; analyzes the clients responses; and adjusts the treatment accordingly. This strategy is used as part of an integrated treatment program to achieve functional outcomes. " (whew... what a mouthful!)

Why the Horse? The horses' walk provides sensory input through movement, which is variable, rhythmic and repetitive. The resultant movement responses in the patient are similar to human movement patterns of the pelvis when walking. (and the description continues on in more dictionary/medical terminology).

They even have an Association that specifically relates to all aspects of this therapy....
American Hippotherapy Association, Inc. (AHA Inc.) promotes the use of the movement of the horse as a treatment strategy in physical, occupational and speech-language therapy sessions for people living with disabilities. http://www.americanhippotherapyassociation.org/

Imagine that. I thought that maybe it was named that because someone looked like a hippo lying on the back of a horse???? Who was watching me flounder around on the back of my horse a while back??? Was it YOU!????!??! Hiding in the bushes???

I certainly know that I don't need a dictionary, or a therapistfor that matter, to convince me of the therapeutic properties of a horse. Not only does my back always feel better after going for a ride on my horse, but my spirits are lifted, I breathe easier and I always have a feeling of contentment when I get done with a ride.

Some nights, just being able to stick my nose into my horses neck, comb his mane or brush his body as he is munching on his hay, all settled into his clean stall for the night, is enough to help me shed the tension and emotional exhaustion that life normally brings into my days and weeks.

A warm, sunny afternoon, in the field, with my arms wrapped around their neck, my nose wishes it could bottle the scent of fresh, warm horse, fly spray and grass that immediately puts a smile on my face.

When my wonderful therapist, who I love, gets done putting my brain on it's weekly puree cycle, there is nothing quite like barn chores to help you sort through shit while you sort through shit, if you know what I mean. I sleep well at night after hearing the contented nickers, the munching of hay and night noises as the geldings settle in the barn, happy and safe.

For a time, about seven years ago, when things were very, very bad, and I was in and out of the hospital over a 4 month period of time, it was my horses who kept me going. The girls will grow up (blessedly) and move on (and out) with their lives. My husband has his work and his love of hunting. My horses were there every morning, whinnying for me to come feed them breakfast and let them out to pasture. That is what got me out of bed. My morab, Aba, would bang his foot on his stall door until I would drag my butt out of bed and get up to let them out.

There is never judgement. They never, once, didn't come to greet me when I went out to see them, no matter what time of the day or night. They didn't care if I was still in my pajamas. They didn't care if my hair had been combed or my teeth brushed. They just knew I needed them to lean on, to brush, to talk to. They never offered their opinions. They knew how to hug. They couldn't tell others what I had told them. They can't be subpoenaed. They don't lie. They always listen carefully and never interrupt. They were there for me just as I was there to care for them.

There is never a more honored feeling to have than knowing that your horse trusts you and cares for you, that he will carry you on his back, keeping you safe, watching out for your well being. There have been few things in my life that give me that feeling. And once you have felt it, you want to feel it all the time.

If this does't make you want to go right out and get a horse of your very own, then I don't know what will! My dogs do the same thing for me. And so do the cats. But horses are my first choice (after my husband and my girls. OK. Sometimes even before my husband and my girls...).

You should try it some time. Visit a local barn. Try brushing a rescue horse. Help with stall cleaning and throw some hay in the loft. But the caution is this - once you get going, it's darn near impossible to stop.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment