Monday, July 12, 2010

The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Ok, I see it every day. It still pisses me off every day. These people that go to auctions (or cruise Craigslist or Horse/Com, the local feed store tack message center or other 'free to a good home' posting places) with a truck and trailer, maybe a few hundred cash, or their friend with a truck and trailer who just happen to have a few extra hundred in cash lying around, or better yet, hire someone with a truck and trailer. Who 'feel so bad' for this poor little, worm-infested, year old stud colt. Feel so bad that they just 'have to buy get it out of there.'

Then they bring it home, full of great feelings of saving this little one from harms way. Out of the meat truck. Out of danger from being used as a stud when it grows older to breed more and more little beings who wind up at auction to suck in the next do-gooder who feels sorry for it.

OK - I'm going to pause here... I'm going to restate something I said a while ago. I LOVE DO-GOODERS!!! The world would not function without them. I am one of them. I have many friends and acquaintances that are DO-GOODERS. I LOVE DO-GOODERS! (ok, we got that???)

To a home that does not have proper fencing, shelter, hay, FUNDS! etc. We rush around, putting up temporary fences that do not hold them in. Fencing that they run right through because they have no idea what tape fencing is. Being bedded down in garages next to the lawn mower and the Christmas ornaments. Robbing Peter to pay the vet, farrier, hay guy, grain store, etc... (who needs electricity, fuel and groceries anyways??)

Then, reality comes and bites them in the butt. HARD. VERY HARD.

It's wonderful to rescue. To take that mangy, flea bitten, worm infested, fur ball and with lots of love, vet bills, hand feedings, cleaning stalls, worming and groceries, turn it into a beautiful animal who is trusting, loved and cared for. For the first three, six, nine months or so.

But when they are feeling better, putting on the weight and getting their energy back, they become biting, kicking, stubborn, time-consuming, fund-consuming, overwhelming, time-sucking bundles of energy.


Then, we get these. These are excerpts from actual ads I've been reading.

- 'I got him from an auction and his paperwork says he is a quarter horse. I just do not have the time to train him. He is not gelded and walks good on a lead. $500 or will trade for a rideable horse.'

And this - 'purchased several years ago for daughter and now she is off to college, so horse must go, too.'

Still more - 'Free Pony or she will be put down. 12 year old mare. Diagnosed with soft tissue damage in right front hoor (i would assume this is to read hooF), needs 6 months to a year of stall rest. will let you talk to vet. she's a great mare, very loving. She did pony hunters in 07, 08. Daughter went on to horses but still rode her constantly. Too nice a pony to be put down, PLEASE help this pony.'

And this - '10 year old palomino quarter horse. Cannot be ridden due to knee injury several years back. does receive msn and joint supplements with her feed. she stood for stud two years ago, but she didn't take. I think she could handle the added weight of a pregnancy as long as you trim her down a bit before winter. She is a mare and most comfortable with women, she leads and loads easily but the farrier has to be cautious, she has a difficult time doing the back feet due to her right front knee injury. I sometimes have her wear shoes to balance her. She can be a bitchy mare at times to other horses, but that attitude comes with being a mare. She is a sweetie, but now that my daughter has left home, at my age having horses is difficult, and I do not ride, so why keep horses?'

And, continuing, this - 'Was a rescue and he was severely underweight. Was told he had come from a huge breeding facility. 17 years old and a prove breeder. He bred both my mares and one is due in a couple of months. He is pastured with my mares and cows. He shows no aggressive tendencies and when he breeds he is very gentle (no kicking or biting). I was told he was broke to drive, but I don't know how to drive so have never tested him in that area. When I put someone on his back he had no idea what was happening so I am assuming that he is not broke to ride. I have gone off to college and can't expect my mother to take care of both my mares and foals, along with a stallion, so a good home is what I am asking for.'

and, this - 'two year old mini horse for sale. He nips a bit but that is because he is a stallion. He comes when he's called and very well behaved. Easy to feed this guy, he's a cheap date. We are sorry to see him go but we have to move and can't take him with us. We can't deliver but he can be picked up in a truck with a ramp.'

THUNK. THUNK. THUNK. THUNK. THUNK.

That is the sound of me slamming my head against the wall beside my desk.

I'm at fault for this, too. The knee-jerk, emotional reaction to save a helpless animal. In my defense, I do rescue to adopt out to appropriate homes. Some come to stay, others only stay long enough to get the great start they need before heading out to make another family feel blessed. Some are returned (as per agreement that is signed) and either stay with us or find another suitable family.

I realize, forget, remember, bemoan, forget, that the good feeling often doesn't last for the whole time they are with me. The twice a day cleaning of the wound, the daily cleaning of stalls, e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e d-a-y, feeding, meds, worming, hay, turn out, fly spray, fly mask, farrier, blanketing, cleaning and filling stock tanks, buying hay, stacking hay, ordering hay, etc. etc.

And that doesn't even begin to get into the handling, training, grooming, desensitizing, exposing them to the world, the vet, the farrier, the cat, the dog, the other horses, the chickens, the blanket, the lead rope, the bridle, the saddle, etc. etc. etc.

After a while it gets to feeling really, really old. This, my dear people, is called BURNT OUT.

The consequences of taking on an animal, ANY ANIMAL, should be a commitment FOR THE WHOLE LIFE OF THAT ANIMAL.

Not euthanizing them if they can't run and jump and carry around your butt any more. Not discarding them because they start shooting blanks or they continue to breed because you don't have enough sense to separate them and NEUTER THEM!!!!

Eeekkk. Sorry... guess it's kinda late now, but I'll post it anyways...

~~~CAUTION - SOAP BOX WARNING~~~

Spay, neuter, vet, socialize, train, shelter, feed, love your animals.

For their whole life, until it is too painful, too sick, too injured for them to continue on.

Then give your animals the truly most blessed thing you can give them... your arms to hold them as they pass from this world into a world of no pain, no sickness, no injuries. Love them enough to let them go.

Don't dump them off onto someone else. Don't abandon them when the going gets tough. I don't even have a problem with you dropping them off at the vets and you can't stay there until the end. The vet techs I work with are wonderful people and they will be there with a comforting pat, a calming hand. Don't pass them around, like a bad penny, not caring where they might land and who might abuse, misuse, mistreat, abandon them.

Kittens are adorable. Puppies are so very cute. Baby horses are amazing things to watch (wanna see some really cute little girls, go to http://www.hof-mendenhall.com/ OMG! I met their two little fillies yesterday!!! How absolutely stunning their few month old babies were!!!!)

They always grow up. To become cats, dogs, horses - who live for 10, 20, 30 or 40 or more years.

365 days, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, counting on you to do what is best for them to become productive, socialized, well rounded, well cared for beings. FOR THEIR WHOLE LIVES!

Ok, I'm starting to ramble now. Please, please remember. For their whole lives, unless you can find someone (and check up on them) who will care for them if circumstances (situations do occur when you cannot) prevent you from doing so. But if you wouldn't leave your kids when you move, don't leave your pets. And if you practice birth control because you don't want more kids, then please practice pet control if you can't handle any more animals!!

I need more coffee. And I have to bring more water to the chickens. And the teen-ager is whining for something to eat. And the dogs need to go out....

No comments:

Post a Comment